Missouri Salvage Title

In the state of Missouri, insurance companies have the authority to declare a vehicle a total loss if your automobile is in an accident. If your insurance claims the total loss or the word salvage has been stamped on the title, it is illegal to operate your vehicle on any road in Missouri. What this means is that your original registration on your vehicle has been cancelled, and you'll need to remove your plates off your automobile.

If the vehicle is restored, it has to be inspected before a Rebuilt Title will be issued. A rebuilt vehicle with a MO Salvage Rebuilt Title can be driven on the highways. Please note that your vehicle can't be re-titled until it passes a Salvage Inspection.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Online application assistance can simplify the process for many DMV related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Where possible, we will prepare your DMV forms and/or provide links to DMV online services. You will also receive 30 days of both emergency Roadside Assistance and the Repair Assist consultation service from Road America. In addition, you will be able to take advantage of a free membership to DMV Advisors, a state-specific help desk prepared to answer any driver-related questions or concerns you may have. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DMV.

3: Via a DMV office

If you prefer to access DMV services in person or your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at a physical DMV office location. Varying DMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your local DMV allows you to make a personal appointment. Read more below to see if an in-person visit is either preferred or required.

Missouri Salvage Titles

In the state of Missouri, a vehicle is deemed a total loss by an insurance company if repairing or rebuilding the vehicle is 80 percent or more of the market value as determined by your insurance company. Once claimed as a total loss, your salvaged vehicle will be assigned a MO Salvaged Title. Your salvaged vehicle must be rebuilt or restored and pass inspection before it can be registered to be driven on the highways.

To learn more about Missouri Salvage Titles, read below:

Missouri Salvage Vehicle Inspection

Before applying for a Missouri Vehicle Salvage Certificate of Title, your vehicle must first receive a Missouri salvage vehicle inspection by Missouri law enforcement. Once rebuilt and your salvaged vehicle passes inspection, you may apply for a Salvage Title at local Missouri Department of Revenue Motor Vehicle Bureau (DOR). Bring the following:

After you complete these steps and turn in your form, your new Certificate of Title will be issued in your name and will be designated as Prior Salvage.

From a Missouri Rebuilt Salvage Title to Regular Vehicle Title

Once your salvaged vehicle is rebuilt and/or repaired to roadworthy condition and has passed inspection, you can then apply for a Missouri Vehicle Title. What you need to do is go in person to your local Missouri Department of Revenue Motor Vehicle branch (DOR). Bring along with you:

When these steps are completed, pay the appropriate titling fee and you will be issued a title.

Title an Abandoned Vehicle in Missouri

An abandoned vehicle title in Missouri can be claimed by anyone as long as the owner does not come forward to claim it. To claim an abandoned vehicle and title it in Missouri, the abandoned vehicle must first be reported to local Missouri law authorities who will investigate and try to contact the owner. If the owner does not come forward within 60 days, you may file for a MO Title and/or Registration. To see if the vehicle you're trying to claim falls under these guidelines, you can access the Missouri Abandoned Property Manual.